Oakland – Jollof Rice Festival
July 27 @ 3:00 pm - 8:00 pm PDT
Jollof rice is a one-pot rice dish native to many countries in West Africa. Some consider it the predecessor to the cajun dish, jambalaya.
The Jollof Festival is a day-long celebration of the many variations of this dish, unique to the various West African countries that consider it a staple.
The experience of the Jollof Festival focuses on the pride West Africans exude in their native dishes.
Festival participants not only get to enjoy these foods, but get to interact with the festival itself by voting to determine the winner of the “Jollof Wars,” a head-to-head battle that pits one representative from each country against each other for the title of Best Jollof Rice.
Re-cap: ATL Jollof Festival ’18 http://bit.ly/jolloffestatl18video Re-cap: NYC Jollof festival ’17 https://youtu.be/Z4s-K0C6bfE Re-cap: DC Jollof festival ’17 https://youtu.be/htc4cOxXkCA
Number of Participants: Minimum of 5 Countries
– 3pm Doors, Food sampling begins
– 4pm Performance
– 5pm Panel
– 6pm Performance
– 7pm Judges, Photoshoots, Dance party
– 8pm Ends
*Prices subject to increase
*All tickets sold are final
*This event is rain or shine
*Schedule subject to delay
*All pictures, videos taken at this event are copyrighted by @Jollof Festival
*Participating performers, vendors, chefs and restaurants TBA
Follow us on Social media or keep an eye on our site for updates:
Has this event happened before? How did it go last year?
– Yes it has, it was a lot of fun
Re-cap: NYC Jollof festival ’17 https://youtu.be/Z4s-K0C6bfE
Re-cap: DC Jollof festival ’17 https://youtu.be/htc4cOxXkCA
Where can I join your community/movement?
– Join us here: INSTAGRAM / FACEBOOK: @jolloffestival
Are there ID or minimum age requirements to enter the event?
– No, this is a family friendly event. Minors must be accompanied.
How much is the event for kids?
– It’s free entry for all kids under 10yrs old
What can I or can’t I bring
– Bring your phone so u can vote, friends, family and have a good time.
– Don’t bring water, bottles, food, pets. We will have to-go containers. U can buy food while there.
How can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Can I use my tasting tickets wherever I want?
– You will be given tickets with different colors to use to sample jollof rice from each country after which you get to vote
Can I buy food at the festival?
– Yes you can
Can I buy food at the festival in addition to my tasting tickets?
– Yes you can
How large are the tastings?
– Tastings are small samples but by the time you get through 5 countries you would have had several meals 🙂
Can I purchase food with a card?
– Cash might be better because not all vendors have swipe machines
What’s the refund policy?
– All tickets sold are final
Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event?
– No, you do not need to, kindly bring a copy of the ticket on your phone and we can scan you in
Is my registration fee or ticket transferrable?
– Yes, you can transfer your ticket to someone, but they must have a copy of the ticket
Is it ok if the name on my ticket or registration doesn’t match the person who attends?
– That’s fine
Can I sponsor or vend?
– Yes, you can. Email us at email@example.com